Forrester Analyst Paul Hamerman shares in Live Webinar the Five Best Practices for Integrated Planning
April 01, 2015
Paul Hamerman, Vice President and Principal Analyst for Forrester Research, shared 5 best practices for integrated planning during the March 26 live webinar, hosted by Anaplan and OpenSymmetry.
Paul identified how Finance, Sales, HR, and Operations teams are implementing solutions that provide them with a clear line of sight for integrated planning and real-time dynamic decisions.
Laura Roach, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Customer Success for OpenSymmetry and Bryan Katis, Vice President of Customer Success for Anaplan joined the conversation to share how Anaplan and OpenSymmetry have teamed to offer a proven solution that delivers a path to rapid results.
The growing need to stay compliant requires greater reporting and transparency. With integrated planning solutions, such organizations are able to score themselves against key performance indicators and build strategies to achieve next-level performance. In addition, organizations are able to build out predictable models by being able to plan, budget, and forecast through historical data and reports – providing better forward visibility.
Two of the poll questions showcased that 20.8% of live webinar respondents reported that one of the biggest challenges they face in their planning process is lack of forward visibility and 33.6% reported they plan or reforecast on a quarterly basis.
Other challenges that companies experience include:
- Plans that are cumbersome and not agile
- Lack of transparency into performance both organizationally and financially
- Poor collaboration
- Limited focus on strategic initiatives
- Poor timing of business information
Integrating planning is the key to help mitigate these challenges for organizations. Paul outlined these five key best practices:
- Dynamic Planning: Dynamic planning entails being able to track performance on a continual basis. By being able to use technology to your advantage, organizations have greater transparency, as well as increased agility to changing market conditions, meaning that plans can be updated on a more accurate and timely basis, so that success is achievable. In the end, organizations are able to build out that predictable model.
- Integrated Planning & Performance efforts and Data across Lines of Business: Integrated planning moves away from a siloed methodology of just pulling the financial data to make informed decisions and forecasts. It is imperative to integrate important Sales, HR, Operations, and IT data in order to get the best results and make the most informed business decisions.
- Predictive Planning & Analytics: Technology is helping organizations be on that upward path to unstoppable success. This is especially true because of the amount of data that is now made readily available in such a short amount of time. Companies now have the ability to understand trends and patterns so that organizational goals both in the short-term and long-term are achievable.
- Collaborative effectively Across the Organization: Collaboration is key especially as it relates to the health of an organization, which is why it is important to leverage all departments. When all departments have a voice, it improves the overall transparency for the company. It is moving away from those outdated ways of doing planning, such as excel, and is moving to a more proactive approach through the use of social and other platforms.
- Aligning with Growth Opportunities: With the market continuously changing and technology advancing, companies need to understand, as well as prioritize the needs of stakeholders and customers. With an overarching goal being able to maximize revenue, it is important that companies are able to add long-term business value to the customer. While it is still important to look and understand the financials, it is more about having customer-centric priorities. The more happier customer are more financial security you will have both now and in the future.
The webinar also discussed a real life case study around OpenSymmetry and Anaplan. As a proven partner and customer of Anaplan, OpenSymmetry discussed how they have successfully built out a predictable, integrated planning model that has helped them find and define their own success metrics. OpenSymmetry was able to identify their current state, determine their pains, and set up an integrated plan that helped them move up that maturity curve into a thriving state.
Did you miss the live webinar? The live recording will be available soon. Make sure to keep an eye out for it on our resource center! Want to learn how you can achieve unstoppable business performance with integrated planning? Contact one of our experts today and schedule a meeting today.